Aside from the obvious risk of a painful and blistering sunburn, over-exposure to the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays can also cause pre-mature aging and significantly increase your risk of skin cancer. Wearing an SPF every day, especially when outdoors in the summer months, is essential to keeping your skin protected.
Tips for protecting your skin:
• Wear a full-spectrum sunscreen every day - with a minimum SPF 15. The longer you will be outside, the higher the SPF should be. Full spectrum sunscreens protect you from both UVA and UVB rays.
• Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure.
• Re-apply every two hours (or more frequently if you are sweating or swimming).
• Apply more generously to the areas of the body that are most exposed to the sun and at higher risk for burns (nose, forehead, chest, shoulders, back, arms, legs).
• Wear a sunscreen lip balm to protect your lips.
• If wearing cosmetics on your face, choose products that also contain SPF (in addition to your sunscreen).
• Wear sunglasses and hats whenever possible.
• Avoid the sun between 10 am and 4 pm whenever possible.
Not sure which SPF products to use? Try our staff favourites - available for purchase at Sante Spa Victoria:
1.) Elta MD - SPF 40
2.) Pevonia Youth Renew - SPF 30
3.) Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen - SPF 30